San Francisco is a scant 40 or so miles away from my house, yet the thought of driving into the “big city” is completely daunting to me. This makes not a bit of sense since I have taken public transit (with children) all around Tokyo and London, and just spent two weeks driving myself and the kids around Switzerland (where I can’t even read the street signs). Yet something about driving in SF makes me nervous. Luckily for me, my husband is on vacation and agreed to go with me (read: act as my chauffeur and lunch date) to the city today so I could make a pilgrimage to the fabric and notion heaven that is Britex.
- geometric turquoise and brown cotton knit for a top (and to continue practicing my knit sewing)
- brown wool, with coordinating brown Bemberg lining for a yet-to-be defined work skirt
- charcoal wool, with deep red Bemberg lining for a sleeveless work dress
- yellow and red flower print on brown cotton shirting for a sleeveless peplum top
- peach, red and white floral silk/lycra (my splurge of the day at $59/yard!) for a variation on this top (hopefully, I have enough fabric)
My husband joked that it must stink to go shopping, spend all that money, and not be able to wear anything when you get home. I reminded him that since it was fairly expensive fabric, I can’t even just sew the item–I have to make an unwearable muslin of the item before I can even make the real deal. Why do we do this again? 🙂