I guess it’s a little silly since I just drafted and released my own (free!) cowl-neck pattern, but I just had to buy Colette’s newest release, the Myrtle dress. It was like a black hole, just pulling me in: I couldn’t resist! I love a casual dress, and this pattern looked like it would be pretty versatile. And it is!
This was my wearable muslin, so I cut according to my measurements on the sizing chart and went with XS. Overall, the top was a bit big in the shoulders and chest, and especially in the deepness of the cowl. With the slightest waist bend, you can see down to my belly button. So not a good thing!
The back was also wider than I normally like, which makes the top a bit shifty. However, it’s probably because instead of folding and stitching the back neck and armholes, I used self fabric binding on the edges, which increased the overall width.
I made my usual petite adjustment in the bodice (reduce by about 1″), which was needed. The length is good, but the armholes were a little deep for me, too.
Okay, that’s a lot of sizing complaints, but that’s why I do muslins! For my next version (already sewn!), I altered the pattern to fix all my fit issues. Overall, the pattern is great–I love the construction of the top and the wide elastic waistband. I’ve made it in this slinky/stretchy knit and a stretch silk, and both are lovely and comfortable. Definitely a pattern that can be dressed up or down with fabric choice (and accessories). Stay tuned for version 2!
Resewlution 2014: July garment #2