I don’t wear shorts very often, preferring skirts (or skirts with built-in shorts) when it’s too hot to wear pants. However, after discovering the Shorts on the Line summer sewalong, I figured I’d try my hand at sewing some. I purchased the Amazing Fit! pants pattern with the ultimate goal of making shorts, so these pants were actually the “wearable muslin” toward that objective 🙂
After laboriously altering the pattern the first go-around, I made a few more changes for these shorts–I lowered the front rise by about 1/2 inch and added fancy patch pockets on the back.
The original pattern doesn’t call for pockets of any kind on the back, but I need something to break up the expanse of fabric in the back there, so I designed these patch pocket for the job which I centered on the back dart:
The fabric is a bottom-weight stretch cotton from Joann’s. It’s a microdot pattern, probably from the white elastic threads that run through it (which were a bit annoying while sewing).