My favorite “dress” rain jacket is now about 12 years old. Despite its age, the lovely aqua color is still in style and fit is still so good…however, there are stains and discolorations that dry cleaning can’t fix. As sad as it is, I think it’s time to pitch it. Well, this is one of those times when I’m so, so grateful to be able to sew. While my new version doesn’t replicate that exact jacket, it’s definitely a reasonable replacement.
I am a huge fan of this Burda Style pattern (B6747), especially after seeing the final product. First off, it’s actually designed for petites! I didn’t make a single petite adjustment (though the sleeves could be taken up by 1/2″…) I sewed a straight size 10 and it fits well, with enough room for a sweater underneath. The silhouette is obviously not fitted, but has a slight a-line shape.
The pattern has some thoughtful details, such as side seams moved forward to allow for a more ergonomic placement of the pockets, a different pattern piece for the upper and under collar (important for a good roll), and a collar “stand” that also contributes to the pleasant shape.
The original instructions call for a faux button over snaps. I hadn’t planned ahead for bound buttonholes, and I don’t have the skills or gimp to hand finish a button hole, so I went along with the written directions. However, I wanted to cover the male side of the snap, to make it slightly less obvious when worn open. If you didn’t see it the other day, I posted a little tutorial for covering snaps when working with thick fabric.
Horn buttons from Britex!
Yep, the green color is a bit bold. Online it looked more “spring green” but in person it looks more “shamrock green”. Regardless, the color is definitely growing on me. It’s from Mood and listed as a water-resistant cotton canvas, intended for outdoor cushions and whatnot, but it is a great weight for this type of jacket.
The jacket has a full lining and to up the luxury, I went with another bold choice–apricot gingham silk taffeta (also from Mood)! I know the colors aren’t a perfect match, but it was so beautiful and spring-y, I couldn’t resist!
Here are the jacket innards. The sleeve hems are sewing on the machine (using a bag-type method) but I hand sewed the hem, with a pleat for the lining.
Action pleat in the lining!
Overall, I am thrilled with my new jacket. I love color, the vaguely vintage style and the lining just makes me happy. I would be happy to make this pattern over and over again, as my jackets get worn out. Bring on the rain (but just for like, a day, please 🙂