This is not my most flattering garment; instead, it is all about the fabric. I selected this linen (Nani Iro Nuance) ages ago and loved the painterly print–it looks hand made. The best way to showcase the large and rather subtle print was with a garment with as few seams as possible. And since the fabric is Japanese, it is only fitting that I found the right pattern in one of my many Japanese pattern books.
This is the cover of the book. I purchased it in a small bookstore in Tokyo about 6 years ago, and I can’t find an English translation at Amazon. It’s definitely not in English, but instructions are overrated anyhow 🙂 Here’s the photo of the garment in the book:
While being super simple, the pleat detail in the front is lovely and it fits the garment slightly through the bodice. Now seeing it in photos, perhaps I’ll go back and make the stitches more prominent.
I sewed a size 9 based on measurements and the fit is good. I did raise the armholes by about an inch, and I could have raised them even more (see below).
The fabric is not soft, but instead of lining the garment, I decided to wear a silk chemise under. After all, I have to find a use for the La Perla one I “forgot” to send back after purchasing it for “research” for one of my assignments in my Intro to Fashion class 🙂