I’ve made the Renfrew cowl neck top a couple times (here and here), and I love it. The cowl is more like a floppy turtleneck, so for it to hang nicely, the fabric has to be pretty lightweight and drapey. After sewing up the Renfrew in this cute bicycle print (purchased at Harts, but it doesn’t seem to be available at their online store), I realized that the cowl was just annoying. It’s kind of big and bulky, and doesn’t lay quite right.
So after wearing it a couple of times, I realized that I could fix it! I carefully cut off the cowl and used the fabric to cut the neckline binding. In about 15 minutes, the neckline conversion was complete!
I love that–being able to make a garment into what you want from the start and/or making adjustments when you’re done.
And check out this completely unintentional awesome feat of matching (the arrow is pointing to the head of the rider from the binding matching the body on the shirt–crazy!)
I’ve made a few other garments lately, but I’ve been less good about documenting my work–I’ve got a Britex project (with mini-tutorial) coming up soon, and a Sewaholic pattern hack on the way!
2015 Resewlution, October garment #1
3 thoughts on “Renfrew top and a neckline conversion”
That's brilliant! Imagine how obvious it would have been if that poor cyclist had been beheaded! I love it when freaky sewing luck like that happens. I like the cowl, but you're right, this one looks much better without. Nice job. You've prompted me to go fix the neckline of a top that was a pattern test gone wrong. It might just be salvageable…
Ha! Great conversion. I've also made the cowl neck with a narrowed cowl, maybe 3 X the width of the neck binding and it looks cool too. But you're right, the full cowl needs a bit of drape.
Love it! It's a great idea make two pieces. The binding matching is fantastic