Between the end of the school year for me and the kids, vacation on the East coast, and a general lack of interest in spending time in the hottest room in our house (my sewing room), I haven’t been very productive, sewing-wise. So, for my first day without kids (camp/ daycare) in a while, I was bummed when I came down with my a cold. No one likes to be sick, however if I had to pick a day to fall ill, it would have been this day! With no work or children to tend to, I stayed in bed and read an entire book (The Martian, though not a typical choice for me :). But I finished it around 2 p.m., and had a few more hours before kid pick-up. Clearly, I needed to make a new pair of pajamas, in which I could convalesce for the remainder of my day!
Let’s start with the fabric, since it’s Liberty. The print is “Sabrina
“. (Okay, I just had to scroll through 8 pages of Tana Lawn prints to find this particular style, and sheesh, Liberty prints are gorgeous.) The only thing more decadent than laying in bed and reading all day is a pair of Liberty cotton pajama bottoms. Too bad I didn’t have them on WHILE reading in bed all day!
The pattern is a revision of something I drafted up a while ago. With pockets, of course. The pattern could use some more tweaking, but these certainly turned out wearable!
To do justice to this lovely, fine fabric, I used French seams all around, using this tutorial from Deborah Moebes for creating French seams with on-seam pockets.
|French seam, with bottom corner of the pocket (hard to see!)
That’s about it. Not a difficult or exciting project by any means, but a good reentry into my sewing room.
I felt well enough today to knock something else off my summer sewing list….the excitement builds!
2015 Resewlution, July garment #1