I make lots of clothes for other people–the kids, especially, but other family members too. After apparently feeling neglected, my husband finally expressed his dismay that I hadn’t ever made anything for him to wear. Sure, I made him a quilt when we were dating, but it wasn’t that great (we don’t even own it anymore!). So I finally moved it up to the top of my to-do list, grabbed a pair of his favorite shorts (that they don’t make anymore), and set out to recreate them. Since I couldn’t take them apart like I did for my own top, I laid them on “Pattern Ease” and traced the pieces. They had this odd crotch gusset thing (not sure if there is a more appropriate word to describe this!), zip and button fly, side pockets and no separate waistband. I’m growing to love the challenge of reverse engineering a piece of clothing, and the zipper was definitely something of which I feel pretty proud!
With only the hem to finish, I realized that the pocket-less back of the shorts looked a little weird. The originals had a welt pocket, but I figured I could leave it off. Bad decision. After a quick Google search, I found a brilliant tutorial for installing welt pockets. However, the instructions didn’t give dimensions of the welts (it was working with a specific pants pattern), but I managed to design the pocket and welts myself. Wahoo! Given it’s my first welt pocket (and without a pattern!), I think it turned out pretty well. I’ve put up a mini-tutorial describing how to draft a welt pocket.
The husband says he’ll “definitely wear them”, so I call that a success. Check “shorts for my honey” off the to-do list!