After making my wearable muslin top of the Myrtle dress by Colette Patterns, I immediately geared up for making a second version. I made some pattern adjustments: reduced the depth of cowl (tutorial up tomorrow!), as well as some petite adjustments of the bodice at the waist AND the upper bodice to shorten the armholes. I also redrafted the armholes a bit to make them slightly more curved at the bottom and narrowed the back bodice at the shoulders. After all that, it fits great!
For the fabric, I used the most incredible stretch silk from Britex (unfortunately no longer available). I washed and dried the fabric (on gentle and low heat) and it looks just as good as it did when before pre-treatment. The stretch is significant and the fabric has a easy-to-sew texture and weight. It’s a gorgeous fabric and was a pleasure to sew.
Since the fabric isn’t quite as stretchy as a knit, I finished the arm and neckholes with purchased bias binding. I know, I know, purchased. I’m okay with that 🙂 The hem was sewn with my narrow rolled edge foot.
I left off the pockets for a few reasons. First off, I don’t love the shape of the provided pockets–they kind of flap around if not attached at the waistband. Yes, I could have redrafted them, but….Second, the fabric is so light that I didn’t want to put any lumps or bumps under the skirt. So, no pockets!
5 thoughts on “Myrtle dress in stretch silk”
Love the dress and love that casual paragraph where you completely rejig everything to make it perfect for you. So clever!
this is a great fabric, and i'm glad you worked a great fit!!
oh it's so pretty! and i believe you when you say the fabric is amazing in person – britex is so good about that!
Oh, this is the prettiest one I've seen! It fits perfectly! Love that wide elastic waistband!
I love this SO much!!! totally gorgeous!